Alpacka Raft Wolverine
The love child of the Gnarwhal and Alpackalypse, the Wolverine is the perfect blend of quick engagement, predictable edge control, and precision handling to hit those tight lines that make the difference between just making it to the bottom and running a
In whitewater kayaking, there are play boats for throwing tricks, river runners for carving lines, slalom boats for precision and speed, creek boats for getting rowdy, and all kinds of specialty models which blur the lines. While whitewater packrafts are a long way from achieving similar specialization, kayaks still provide a great source of inspiration for how we approach packraft performance. Think of the Wolverine as a mashup of the stable, forgiving, high-volume creeker inspired Gnarwhal and the quick, responsive, low-volume river runner inspired Alpackalypse, with a few new school kayak features like a slightly shorter stern and a more pronounced bow rocker. The result is a new standard in whitewater packraft performance that provides both the confidence to hit difficult lines with style and the predictability and stability to ride out the rough stuff when you make a mistake.
The Wolverine is built with the Rally Hull, high-performance whitewater rigging, Cargo Fly zipper internal storage system, and Whitewater Deck. The Rally Hull is the highest performance whitewater hull with a center panel stern for stability and forgiveness and a rockered bow for punching over holes and carving eddy turns. The Wolverine is lower volume than the Gnarwhal for quicker engagement and predictable edging. The whitewater rigging includes an adjustable foam backband, ¾ length seat and foot brace and patented 4-point thigh straps. Self bailing configurations are available by special order within size and weight limitations.
Trying to choose between the mid-volume Wolverine and the high-volume Gnarwhal? You’ll love the Wolverine if you want squeeze as much as you can out of a rapid with a quick and easy to edge packraft that likes to hit every eddy and play feature, and boof off every lip. You’ll love the Gnarwhal if you want a forgiving and easy to paddle packraft that takes the intimidation out of paddling moderate whitewater, if you want to charge hard in bigger water and features, or if you need to carry a large cargo load on a long trip. Both the Wolverine and Gnarwhal can be reliably rolled by skilled boaters with thigh straps, but the Wolverine roll is a bit easier for most people. The Gnarwhal and Wolverine are sized to fit most average sized adults, but larger and heavier (over 6’0” and 220lbs) paddlers will fit better in the Gnarwhal while smaller and lighter paddlers (under 5’7” and 150lbs) will fit better in the Wolverine.
Whitewater Deck: The Wolverine comes standard with our Whitewater Deck, which maximizes performance in difficult whitewater. The Whitewater Deck features a large kayak style cockpit, one-piece pex coaming, and an ultralight spray skirt. Because the Whitewater Deck will not fill with water when pushing through a wave or hole, it maintains more speed and can punch through larger waves and stickier holes than the self bailing configuration.
Cargo Fly Zipper: Our Cargo Fly internal storage system comes standard on the Wolverine and includes roll-top dry bags. The Cargo Fly features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to store your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The included roll-top dry bags clip in place along each side of the tubes with a side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
- Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Rally Hull
- Tube Diameter: 10.6-inch
- Fit: Whitewater (See sizing and specifications)
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 2 double D-Rings, 2 ankle loops, 2 multi-slot strap plates, and 2 strap plates
- Seating & Rigging: 3/4 Length WW Seat, WW Foot Brace, Adjustable Foam Backband, Patented 4-point Thigh Straps
- Build Configurations: Whitewater Deck (Self Bailer by special order).
- Cargo Fly: Standard including roll-top internal dry bags
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Multi-Color and Vectran upgrade options available.
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
- Recommended Gear: Werner Sherpa, Powerhouse, or Aqua-Bound Shred 200cm paddle, Astral YTV or Green Jacket PFD, Kokatat Swift Entry Drysuit
- AQUASEAL WARNING: Using the Aquaseal in the repair kit will expose you to toluene, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
The chart below shows the recommended size based on your sit length and the Wolverine’s fit profile. To determine your sit length, sit against a wall with your legs flat (wearing your preferred paddling shoes) and measure the distance from the wall to your heels. The Wolverine is sized for a whitewater fit, meaning that a typical paddler in the recommended size will be able to deeply bend their knees for maximum engagement in the thigh straps for the most secure high-performance fit. You can size up or down for a more performance or relaxed fit.
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions.
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Custom Multi-Color Ordering Instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.