Alpacka Raft Mule, Cruiser
Packrafters come in all shapes and sizes. So why settle for cramming yourself into a boat that’s too small or too loaded down to comfortably carry you and your gear? If you are big and tall or you need to carry a lot of weight, get the Mule and get after
We get it. Whether its packs, shoes, or sleeping bags, if you are big and tall, finding high performance outdoor gear is hard. So Alpacka is making it easy with the Mule, a spacious and super stable backcountry packraft that will comfortably carry a 250+ pound paddler and 100 pounds of gear without feeling bogged down.
The Mule is built with the 11.7-inch diameter Cargo Hull, which features a center panel stern and late rise bow to maximize stability, buoyancy, leg room, and cargo capacity. You can build your Mule with Open, Cruiser Deck, Removeable Whitewater Deck, and Self Bailing configurations, plus you can add the innovative Cargo Fly zipper internal storage system with or without internal dry bags. You can also get additional factory installed grab loops, strap plates, D-Rings, and handles.
Please contact us if you need a more specific whitewater Mule and we can work with Alpacka on a custom build that includes a standard whitewater deck and patented 4-point thigh strap system.
Cruiser Deck: The new Cruiser Deck is ideal for paddling easy waters in temperate and cool climates. The Cruiser Deck functions as a splash guard and will keep you drier and warmer than an open boat in splashy water, wind, and rain, but is not as dry as the whitewater decks. The deck features a Velcro closure along the left side which easily comes apart in the event of a wet-exit. When not in use, the deck rolls away to the right and is secured with a low-profile slot and toggle system but is not removable.
Cargo Fly Zipper: The Cargo Fly is the ultimate packraft gear storage solution, which features an airtight zipper installed in the stern of the boat to allow you to load your gear inside the tubes. The system provides drier and more secure gear storage and improved paddling performance due to a lower center of gravity. The Cargo Fly is perfect for expeditions, whitewater performance, and keeping your gear dry in any conditions. Roll top internal dry bags are an optional upgrade on all Mule models with a Cargo Fly. The dry bags clip in place along each side of the tubes with a side release buckle and allow for better organization and weight balance than placing the contents of your pack loose inside the Cargo Fly. They also act as additional balanced air chambers to make it easier to get to shore in the event of a puncture.
- Made to Order in Mancos, Colorado
- Shape: Cargo Hull
- Tube Diameter: 11.7-inch
- Fit: Relaxed (See sizing and specifications)
- Valve: Temper assist valve for inflation and deflation
- Attachments: 4 bow grab loops, 2 stern grab loops, 1 bow handle, and 2 strap plates
- Seating: Classic Seat Bottom and Inflatable Seat Back
- Build Configurations: Open, Self Bailer, Cruiser Deck (Redesigned for 2019), or Removable WW Deck
- Cargo Fly: Optional (roll-top internal dry bags sold separately)
- Materials: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon hull and 840-denier ballistic nylon floor (Made in USA). Custom Vectran upgrade available.
- Includes: Inflation Bag, Stuff Sack, and Basic Repair Kit
- AQUASEAL WARNING: Using the Aquaseal in the repair kit will expose you to toluene, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
*Max Capacity is the maximum total weight (paddlers and cargo) that the boat can reasonably carry in flatwater under ideal conditions. Actual capacity for any given trip will vary widely based on the paddler’s skill and water conditions. Please review our weight carrying capacity guide for further details.
*Weight includes all components except inflation bag, repair kit, and internal dry bags for Cargo Fly.
**Packed size is a reference measurement based on folding each lengthwise edge of the boat to the center and rolling from the bow. There are many other methods of rolling and folding the boats that will result in a different packed size that may be more or less efficient for packing depending on the situation.
- Standard: Proprietary 210-denier high count nylon, single side laminated with pigmented polyurethane film (Made in USA)
- Vectran: High performance liquid crystal polymer yarn (five times stronger than steel) in 200-denier and 400-denier options. Higher tear strength and rigidity than nylon, but more susceptible to scrapes and pinholes. 400-denier Vectran is heavier and bulkier than standard fabric. Four week minimum lead time. Made in USA.
- Custom Multi-Color: Custom Multi Color means that you pick the standard fabric in colors of your choice, subject to availability and a minimum 4-week lead time. If you place a custom multi-color order, please read and follow these Custom Multi-Color Ordering Instructions.
Floor: Proprietary 840-denier ballistics nylon, laminated on both sides with polyurethane film (Made in USA).
Seat: 200-denier oxford nylon, with single side polyurethane laminate (Made in USA).
Accessories: All grab loops and similar attachments are manufactured in house in Mancos, Colorado out of scrap floor materials and USA made webbing. Small parts and fasteners are Made in USA, when available, and sourced from industry leaders like Duraflex, YKK, and ITW-Nexus.